The waterbirth option is available with Babycatcher Midwifery clients birthing at home and at Morristown Medical Center. Waterbirth with the support and skill of a nurse midwife can provide many benefits during labor and delivery. The most notable benefit being significant pain relief for laboring mothers. While every labor and birth experience is unique, many mothers find warm water to be one of the most effective ways to relax during active labor. The support and buoyancy offered by water also allows mothers to easily move to different positions to promote natural birth. Many women using water in labor report the subjective experience of being better able to cope with their labor.
Babies have a reflex that prevents them from breathing before emerging from water. The waterbirth option can help you meet your goal of a natural and gentle birth experience.
To learn more about waterbirth, we encourage you to visit Waterbirth International’s website at www.waterbirth.org.
Some of the benefits of waterbirth include:
- Enables relaxation
- Provides pain relief
- Gives supportive pressure on mother’s body
- Decreases adrenalin production which results in better oxytocin and oxygen flow to the mother. This increases blood supply to the mother’s uterus and allows for more effective contractions.
- Greater blood supply to the uterus sends more blood and oxygen to the placenta and baby
- Increases mother’s ability to move around, assisting in baby’s descent
- Gentle transition for the baby from the uterine amniotic fluid to water in the birth tub provides a gentler birth and entry into the world
- Regulation of mother’s blood pressure
- Supports mother’s skin and tissue, creating less risk of tears or trauma